What Makes a Contemporary Style Home?
Do you envision a luxury home along Lake Anna with plenty of natural light, bright color, and a dramatic yet sleek combination of natural materials? Your dream home built by Republic Home Builders may be a contemporary style home. This style of home emphasizes indoor-outdoor living, a perfect fit for life around Louisa, with no single dominant style. Contemporary home architecture may include conceptual style, high-tech architecture, or expressive design but one thing is for sure: it comes with a comfortable and adaptable floor plan and features designed for today’s lifestyle.
Here’s what you should know about how to achieve a custom contemporary design for your Spotsylvania or Orange County, VA home. leo.
Key Features of a Contemporary Home
Contemporary architecture simply means design that is in fashion right now. It’s constantly changing and tends to be eclectic and not associated with a single style. Contemporary style homes share many features in common with modern homes and in fact the two are often confused — even by real estate professionals. Still, there are many features that set a contemporary home apart. This confusion likely comes from the fact that many of the characteristics of modern design like retro design are popular now. Here are some features you are likely to find in a contemporary home in Louisa:
- Boxy, asymmetrical facade with a flat roof. Many contemporary homes feature a boxy design with a flat roof, much like modern style homes. The facade of a contemporary home is usually asymmetrical and irregular with strong geometric shapes. It’s also common for the exterior of a contemporary home to have two or more materials such as glass as concrete and curves or several heights.
- Open floor plan. Contemporary homes always have wide open floor plans with living spaces that flow into each other for a comfortable and airy living space.
- Natural materials. A contemporary home embraces all types of natural materials. Along with traditional brick and wood, the home may also feature concrete, steel, natural stone, and cedar.
- Large windows. Bright, open picture windows bring in natural light and ease the transition between indoor and outdoor space.
- Exposed ceiling beams. Many contemporary homes feature exposed beam ceilings which bring a sense of the outdoors to the indoor living space.
- Outdoor living space. One of the key features of a contemporary home is the seamless transition between outdoor and indoor space with a focus on outdoor living. Large windows and natural materials combine with steel, concrete, and other manmade materials to create harmony. Many contemporary homes feature large sliding glass doors as well with expansive covered patios and porches.
- Eco-friendly design and materials. If you’re concerned about building an environmentally friendly home, a contemporary design is a good choice. Contemporary architects focus on eco-friendly designs that are energy efficient and use recycled materials. It’s not even out of the ordinary to see contemporary homes with green roof gardens and patios.
History of the Contemporary Home Style
Contemporary homes came from the modern architecture movement that became popular during the Industrial Revolution in the beginning of the 20th century. Modern homes are characterized by clean, simple lines and a focus on function. Early modern homes used what was then new materials like sheet glass, iron, and steel. Critics, however, consider this approach to be cold and sterile.
Contemporary homes are simply homes with a design that embodies the times and architecture of the 21st century. While contemporary architecture grew from modern design, it has no specific style guidelines although contemporary homes are usually designed to catch attention and impress. Many feature asymmetric facades, open spaces, large panes of glass, and a focus on outdoor living.
Modern vs Contemporary Architecture
Despite being confused often, modern and contemporary are not synonyms. Modern architecture refers to the architecture movement of the early and mid-20th century when grand ornamentation and sentimental design went out of favor in place of clean lines and a focus on function. Most modern design is connected to the 1920s to 1950s. As more architects grew to believe that modern homes were too unfriendly, cold, and sterile, the ideal was tweaked to create contemporary design.
To make matters a bit more confusing, contemporary architecture can refer to any home style that is created now. Contemporary architecture is very dynamic and always changing. It tends to be eclectic and combine the best elements of many home styles. This makes a contemporary home design easy to adapt to fit your personal tastes. If you like the look of a sleek, modern exterior but appreciate other home styles and can’t quite make up your mind, it’s easy to achieve what you want with a custom contemporary home.
A contemporary home focuses on comfortable living and entertaining, especially outdoor living. This makes a contemporary home perfectly suited to life in Spotsylvania and Orange County, VA, especially along Lake Anna. Many custom contemporary homes feature large outdoor amenities like outdoor kitchens, outdoor rooms, and freestanding fireplaces.